About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Monday, November 10, 2014

Am I Wasting my University Education by Being a Stay at Home Mom?

Some people say that I'm wasting my university education by being a stay at home mom.  And the rest just think it.  But I can tell you, with 100% certainty, that I am not.  Finding a good job isn't the only reason to go to university.  There are many reasons to further your education.  Many lessons to be learned both in and outside the classroom. 

Life skills.  I lived on and off campus while at university, and that is probably where I did most of my learning.  October of first year, my mom sent back to university with me a Tupperware full of turkey and stuffing.  I ate it, then put the Tupperware on the top shelf of the wardrobe in my residence room.  In late April of the following year, I was packing to move back home for the summer, and I reached up to that top shelf to get the Tupperware.  Do you know what happens to little bits of turkey and stuffing that are left in a Tupperware for 6 months?  It's not pretty.  But by the end of fourth year I was cooking up meals for my roommates, doing my own laundry, and yes, washing my dishes in a timely manner.  It's a basic life skill, but it's one I learned at university that I now use on the daily. 

Socialization.  High school, as we know, if full of cliques that we never really seem to fit in with.  There may have been cliques in my university, but there were so many people that, if they were there, I didn't notice.  That high school mentality seemed to have faded with our summer tans and everyone was just nicer, more accepting, and it was a place I was able to be myself.  I was also completely in charge of my social life.  I didn't have a curfew, I didn't have to sneak in after my curfew, and if I was hung over and late for class, there was no one kicking my butt to get there.  It was all on me.  I quickly learned to balance my social life, my waitressing job, and my classes.  If you knew me in high school, you would know that time management wasn't one of my best qualities, but it definitely improved during my time in university. 

The education part.  In university, my major was Criminal Justice and Public Policy.  I had classes such as Serial Murder, Advanced Topics in Criminal Justice, Ontario Politics, and Anthropology.  These are all things that interest me.  Was I ever going to be an Ontario politician studying human behaviour while revamping the criminal legislation through the eyes of a serial murderer?  No.  But taking these courses fed my curiosity on the subjects, opened me up to new ways of looking at the world, and gave me a better understanding of the political system I live in.  I have also taken piano lessons, squash lessons, and skating lessons.  I am not a part of an orchestra, at all athletic, and I can only skate forward.  I can't stop or go backwards.  But, those classes weren't a waste either. 

Critical Thinking.  Any arts program at any university is based on developing critical thinking.  That's why they make you write an essay for everything.  To help you develop your critical thinking, your creative writing, to improve your communication skills so you can better articulate your point of view and your opinions.  Critical thinking and problem solving are two skills I use all the time.  Researching a contractor to reno our kitchen.  Trouble-shooting my broken dish washer.  Working through all the baby advice I was given, and deciphering the good from the bad.  Arguing with my husband.  Critical thinking, problem solving, good communication. 

Baby steps to adulthood.  I lived with my parents up until I went to university, and then moved right back in with them once I graduated and stayed until the day I returned from my honeymoon.  So for me, I really needed those 4 years at university.  I grew up in those four years, gained a lot of independence, learned to manage my time and my money, paid bills, rented a house, I even founded the Criminal Justice and Public Policy society.  And was president of it.  Just saying.  I was on my way to adulthood, and fast, but I was surrounded by professors, residence staff, a housing manager, guidance councillors, senior teaching assistants and great friends to help me.  And I definitely used their help.    

University is fun.  I met amazing people.  I made life long friendships.  I met my husband.  I learned about the strain theory of criminal behaviour, which is totally applicable to parenthood.  You should Google it.  It was some of the best years of my life.  Amazing life experiences, like my 4 years at the University of Guelph (go Gryphons!) are never wasted.  They shape who we are as people, they build character, and the more amazing life experiences we can put on our resume, the better.  Even if we never use that resume for anything. 




No comments:

Post a Comment