About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Secret Life of a Stay at Home Mom


I am a stay at home mom. 

But, before I begin, let me say that the purpose of this blog is not to suggest that the role of the stay at home mom is harder than that of the working mom.  My mom was a working mom and so I saw first hand the challenges it presents.  After putting in a full day’s work my mom would come home and try to make the most of the few hours we did have together – reading stories, playtime, dinner, and once I was in bed a load of laundry and a quick cup of tea before falling into bed herself.  I have great respect for the working mom, as does everyone else, and that is why I have written this blog. 

It seems as though, somewhere between the days of Leave it to Beaver and today, that the perception of the stay at home mom has gone from a loving, nurturing home-maker, a woman who makes her own mayonnaise, and volunteers for the PTA, to a woman who watches Ellen, goes to yoga, has lunch with her girlfriends, and sips lattes while getting her nails done.  I’ll admit that I too once thought to myself, what do these women do all day?  But, now that I am one, I realize just how much we do do.   

Being a stay at home mom can be utterly frustrating at times.  It's a thankless job, with no staff parties, no promotions, and no Christmas bonuses.  We're a misunderstood group, since most of our work is done at home.  I often drop the kids off at school in my pajamas, because why dress up when I'm just returning home to do laundry and clean out the basement storage room?  Yes, you may see me at the nail salon on a Tuesday afternoon, but that is because my weekends are full of kiddie parties and ballet lessons.  And really, we deserve nice nails too, right?  But being a stay at home mom can also be hilarious work.  Kids really do say the darndest things, and we're always there to hear them say it.  We become so proficient at all things domestic, that we can't help but laugh at our husbands as they look for a big bowl for their microwave popcorn.  I mean, come on, there are only so many places in the kitchen in which to store a big popcorn bowl, how hard can it be to find one?  
I hope you enjoy my blog, my rants, my musings, my occasional tips and my even more occasional uplifting thoughts on marriage and parenthood.     

1 comment: