About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Sunday, June 29, 2014

10 Things From My Childhood My Kids Will Never Experience...

I was typing a reply to a Facebook photo the other day, and when I typed the word vacuum, I knew I had typed it wrong because that little red squiggly line appeared under it.  Thank goodness for that red squiggly line.  Had it not been there I might have had to grab my dictionary.  Which got me thinking; where the heck is my dictionary?  It's been so long since I've used it, it must be horribly out of date.  Then I thought, why would it be so out of date?  Oh ya, because no one uses dictionaries any more.  That got me thinking some more, this time about all the things from my childhood that my kids will never experience.  There are many, but these are my top 10. 

1) Dictionaries.  As discussed, the little red squiggly line has put the hard-working dictionary out of business.  I will admit, though, that I do sweat a little when I right click on the red squiggly underlined word and there are no suggestions as to the correct spelling.  Thank goodness for online thesauruses.  

2) Encyclopedias.  Do you remember those things?  No one ever had a complete set, but you almost always knew someone who had the missing volumes.  For you youngsters reading this blog, encyclopedias are basically Wikipedia in book form and, although usually out of date just after being released, still more accurate than Wikipedia. 

3) Phone Books.  I don't mean the contact list in your phones, I mean the giant yellow phone books we all had growing up.  Our kids will have no use for these since the Yellow Pages are now a website.  I think my kids won't even have use for the Yellow Pages website since everyone uses cell phones now, which aren't listed. 

4) Mixed Tapes.  Who doesn't love a good mixed tape?  They were the best.  I used to tape record songs from the radio, making my own playlists.  The best was when you had a boom box with a double cassette player so you could make a mixed tape from another tape.  Kids these days can download complete playlists depending on their mood or the type of music they like.  But where is the creativity in that? 

5) Compact Discs.  CDs, like the cassette tape, are becoming a thing of the past.  But not for me.  I love getting a new CD, ripping open the plastic wrapping and reading, cover to cover, the song lyrics for each song.  The best was when the CD had a hidden song, like on the Alanis Morresette You Otta Know CD.  You won't get that from a download. 

6) Talking on the Phone.  Seems silly, but kids don't actually talk on the phone anymore.  They text or Face Time.  Sometimes they will talk on the phone, but it's still not the same as when we talked on the phone.  Back in the day, our friends had to call our house, and it had better not be during dinner.  Once they got past our parents, we were stuck in the kitchen talking on the wall phone, unless you were lucky enough to have one in your room.  But, no doubt, your little brother would pick up the other line and listen in on your entire conversation.  No.  My kids will never experience talking on the phone the way I did.

7) Developing film.  I remember getting my first camera.  I was so excited.  My friends came over and we spent the whole night in my basement, taking silly pictures of each other.  I was so excited to drop the film off at Black's for developing.  A week later I got the roll of film back.  All black photos, and one blurry thumb.  Awesome. 

8) Great TV.  Full House.  Blossom.  Who's the Boss.  Family Ties.  Saved by the Bell.  Need I say more?  They just don't make 'em like they used to. 

9) Getting Mail.  I mean actual mail, in the mailbox.  Remember how exciting that was when you were a kid?  Letters from your Grandma, invitations to a party, an envelope in the mailbox with your name on it was just about the most exciting thing that could happen to an eight year old.  But now, everything is digital.  An e-mail, a text.  Even passing notes in class has become a thing of the past.  A lost art, if you ask me. 

10)  YM and Tiger Beat.  Remember these magazines?  Of course you do.  They shaped the woman I am today.  The quizzes, the make up tips, the fold out posters of Joey Lawrence.  Whoa! 


No comments:

Post a Comment