About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Sunday, July 6, 2014

Birthday Season...

I don't know about you, but for us, summer marks the beginning of birthday season.  It seems as though all the little kids we know were born in the summer.  But, I don't mind.  I love little kid birthday parties.  My girls are entertained for 3 hours, fed a meal that I didn't have to make, and they usually fall asleep on the way home, which means I can hit up the Starbucks drive-thru without anyone asking for a chocolate chip cookie.  What I don't love, however, are loot bags.  And here's why...

The last thing parents of little kids need is more annoying little toys, suckers, crayons, stickers, or other dollar store finds. My girls insist on opening the loot bags on the way home from the party, which means I have bits of loot bag goodness under all the seats in my van, stickers on all the backseat doors, and a little toy in one of the vents.  The rest of it gets brought inside and added to the bin of little toys we have in the playroom, which gets sprinkled around the house on a daily basis.   

Some parents have realized this, but have taken the loot bag to the opposite extreme. I went to a 3-year-old’s birthday party just the other day, and the loot bag was bigger and better than the gift I got for the birthday boy!  And there was a candy station and the kids got to fill up a bag of candy to bring home.  And this particular candy station included those extra long straws filled with coloured sugar.  Awesome. 

Last year we invited Little Bear’s entire class to her birthday party. We had it at an indoor play park with pizza and ice cream cake. Isn’t that enough? Buying loot bags for 20 kids is a monumental chore; trying to find something that is a reasonable price, in keeping with the theme of the party, practical enough that the parents will appreciate it, but fun enough that the kids will enjoy it. I hadn’t a clue what to get Little Bear for her birthday, let alone what to put in the loot bags for the kids who would be in attendance. 

So, dear parents, if we work together, we can abolish the dreaded loot bag and soon enough they will be something our kids learn about in museums…like records, or playing outside…


No comments:

Post a Comment