About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Thursday, December 4, 2014

Move Over, Laundry. I Have Christmas Crafts To Make

Push that laundry basket aside, grab your glue gun, and get to work.  Christmas is just around the corner!  Hopefully you've completed your DIY forest, because it's now time to focus on some DIY projects that are the perfect finishing touch for your decor, but also make great gifts.

Who doesn't love a handmade ornament?  I've recently fallen in love with twine, and so I of course had to twine up some Christmas balls.  It's really simple.  Starting at the top, using your hot glue gun, glue the twine to the ornament.  You can pick up ornaments at the dollar store or at Michaels, or, you can use ornaments you already have, but no longer love.    

Once you've covered the entire ball with twine, you can get fancy.  I had some left over ribbon, wraphia, and tiny star ornaments.  Not sure why I had the tiny star ornaments, or what they are supposed to be used for, but they work perfectly for this project.  Glue the ribbon in place, and then tie on the star ornament using the wraphia.  I did use a dab of hot glue to secure the wraphia, but I don't think it's totally necessary.  I'll leave that up to you.   

For this next one, I again used the wraphia and tiny star ornaments, and also some letter beads.  Start by threading the letter beads onto the twine.  Wrap and glue the twine to the ornament, pushing the letter beads down the twine (moving them out of the way, essentially).  When you get to the middle of the ornament, line up the letter beads where you want them, then continue wrapping and gluing the twine to the ornament.  Finish with the wraphia and tiny star ornament.  These would make cute gifts as well, don't you think?


And finally, I had a string of plastic pearls, so I added them to the this ornament.  Simply wrap and glue the twine, wrap and glue the pearls, then wrap and glue a new piece of twine to finish it off.  To unify the ornaments I again used wraphia and a tiny star ornament.  You can really use anything you have left over.  Ribbon, yarn, coloured twine, anything you have on hand.  

Continuing with the twine, for this super simple project I just tied a piece of twine to each ornament, tied the twine together making sure to stagger the ornaments, and voila!  I festive alternative to a wreath.  You could also add a ribbon to the top, or ornaments of different size and colour.  

This is a Christmas hack that I've been doing for years.  It's one of my favourites.  You'll need a fresh arrangement from a flower shop or grocery store, a pot, and an artificial wreath.  

Place the wreath around the openeing of the pot you will be using.  The inside of the wreath should be about the size of the opening of the pot.  

Next, put the fresh arrangements into the pot through the opening in the wreath.  It's like hair extensions for your arrangement!  The best part is you can use the artificial wreath year after year, and it will look like you splurged on those amazing big arrangements.  No one will know that half of it is fake. 


Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment