About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Thursday, December 11, 2014

My Thoughts On Marriage

Yesterday (December 10th) was my 9th wedding anniversary.  Holy crap.  Am I really old enough to have been married for 9 years?  Anyway...my husband is great an all, but I think the thing I am most grateful for is having a partner to parent with, because, lord knows I couldn't do this alone.  Next weekend we're going away for the night, to celebrate, which means I'm also thankful for Grandparents and their willingness to babysit.  It really does take a village, don't you think?

Speaking of Grandparents...

My Grandpa passed away in March, at the age of almost 93.  A couple months before, in January, he wrote some words of wisdom in a birthday card to my husband.  This is what he wrote.

'At your early age you have accomplished a lot.  We are sure many more will follow.  Maintain your hard-working habits, nevertheless, have in mind that health comes before wealth.  Eat well, sleep well, and above all, together with your dear wife, take good care of those little angels.'

My Grandparents were married for 66 years.  I have often wondered how they did it, but I think my Grandpa, in his words to my husband in his birthday card, may have revealed their secret.  My Grandparents did everything for their family.  With every decision, where to live, where to work, where to vacation, even what to eat, they thought of us first.  Their family meant the world to them, and was their most prized possession.  I think that's what kept them so bonded to each other.  They realized that they were true partners, building a life not only for themselves, but for their offspring and their offspring's offspring (as my Grandpa used to refer to us).  This common goal kept them working together, never in competition with one another.  They always respected each other, and respected how hard the other worked for the family.  My Grandpa worked and my Grandma stayed home, but neither thought their role was more important.  This respect for each other and wanting to build a family together, I think, was the key to their many many happy years together. 

And so, dear husband, if you're reading this (and you better be reading this), on this, our 9th wedding anniversary, I vow to always remember that we are partners, working toward a common goal of a happy family.  I will not take for granted what you bring to the table, and what you do for our family, and I promise to go easy on you when you load the dish washer wrong or leave your shoes and briefcase in the middle of the floor.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment