About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Monday, January 26, 2015

10 Reasons Lacrosse Is Better Than Hockey

Full disclosure, I'm not a sports fan.  I lived in Phoenix the year they were in the Superbowl, and I'm still not sure if the team playing was the Phoenix Coyotes or the Arizona Coyotes.  Oh wait, I think that's hockey...maybe it was the Phoenix Cardinals.  Arizona Cardinals?  Anyway, I think I've made my point.  Not huge sports fan.  But, I am a mom, and this mom will jump at any opportunity to leave the house.  Last Friday, such an opportunity arose.  My friend Kate invited me to a Toronto Rock Lacrosse game, and, if you've been following along, then you know that I jumped at the opportunity to leave the house.  Even if it meant going to a sporting event.  But you know what?  I actually liked it!  

My dad is wildly into golf, and growing up, for a really long time, we only had one TV.  That meant Saturdays and Sundays you could find me and my dad on the couch watching golf.  Have you ever watched golf on TV?  Not fun.  If it weren't for our mutual love of eating cookies by the sleeve-full I definitely would have found something else to do.  Now that I'm married to a crazed hockey fanatic I have been subjected to more hockey games than any non-sports fan ever should be.  I know it's Canada's favourite game, but it sure isn't mine.  But being at the Rock game on Friday was a totally different experience.  I was exposed to a level of excitement and sports fandom I had never experienced before.  And so, I present to you, the 10 reasons lacrosse is better than hockey.

1. Music.  Music is played throughout the whole game!  Cool, exciting, get you pumped up music.  A very welcome change to the slapping of sticks and clinking of pucks against the crossbar. 

2. It's not cold.  Since Lacrosse isn't played on ice, the arena isn't cold.  This to me is a HUGE selling feature.  It's way more comfortable not to be freezing cold, obviously, but it also means that whatever cute outfit you pick out for the game will not be hidden by your huge parka. 

3. Free pizza.  Need I say more?  They run a contest at Rock games between two rows of seats, and the winning row wins pizza.  PIZZA!!  That's reason enough to go to a game, don't you think?

4. Free tickets.  Didn't win any pizza?  Don't worry.  They also give away free tickets to another amazing Rock game.  Which means another opportunity to win free pizza.  Which is awesome.

5. Super easy to follow.  The rules of lacrosse are simple.  Team A has 30 seconds to score, if they don't, the ball goes to team B.  Ok, I'm sure there are actually more rules than that, but that's all I know about the game, and that's all you really need to know.  I've been watching hockey with my husband for 14 years now and I still don't know what icing is.  Or off-side.  Or a 2 line pass.  Well, I know it's a pass that goes over 2 lines, but I can't for the life of my figure out why that is a bad thing.

6. High scores.  Lacrosse games typically are higher scoring than hockey games.  A higher score equals more excitement.  More excitement is always better than less excitement. 

7. Cheap tickets.  I'm not talking nose-bleed seats, I'm talking across the board cheap tickets.  I haven't been to a Leafs game in years because 1) most tickets are held by season's ticket holders 2) the tickets I can get are way too expensive and 3) I don't want to go to a hockey game (see reasons 1-10)

8. Cool mascot.  Iggy is the Rock mascot, and he's the coolest.  Don't tell, well, anyone, because it's a little embarrassing, but I kind of have a crush on Iggy...in a weird comic con / anime sort of way.



9. No $14 million contracts.  Lacrosse players don't sign million dollar contracts like NHL players do, and I like that.  Their egos stay in check, and they're out there playing lacrosse simply for the love of the game. 

10. The fans.  Lacrosse fans are awesome!  I know, because I am one now.  The crowd at the game was full of fans of all ages, not corporate guys trying to impress clients with fancy season's tickets.  Just a bunch of crazy fans drinking way too expensive beer, loving their free pizza and their warm cheap seats. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment