About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Grandma's Tea Cup Candles: A How To Guide

Feeling a bit nostalgic, I brought out Grandma's old dishes and decided to use them. They're a bit fancy for Goldfish and apple slices, so I put on my thinking cap to try and come up with some alternative ways of using them. I came up with a bunch of ideas, the first of which are these adorable tea cup candles.   

The supplies you'll need are, Grandma's tea cups (obviously), soy wax flakes, fragrance oil, wax adhesive, and candle wicks.  Except for the tea cups, everything else you'll need to can find at a craft store, like Michaels. 



To make the candles, pour some soy wax flakes into a sauce pan over medium heat, and stir occasionally with a fork.  I used a couple of handfuls of wax per tea cup, but really it depends on the size of your cups.  I didn't melt enough the first time, melted some more, then added the extra to the tea cups and it was fine.  The wax will melt in the pot faster than it will harden in the tea cup, so you do have some working time.  While the wax is melting, put a bit of  wax adhesive on the bottom of the wick and place in the bottom of the tea cups.  Once the wax is almost done melting, add a few drops of fragrance oil, then once completely melted pour into the tea cups.  I first poured it into a 2 cup measuring cup that had a spout so I could more easily pour it into the tea cups (unlike spilled milk, spilled wax is something to cry about).  I then held the wicks in place using a few pens, waited for the wax to harden, trimmed the wicks, and ta da!  Grandma's tea cup candles are complete!



This is what they look like when they're done.  Super cute, right?  And you don't have to limit yourself to tea cups.  You can turn almost anything into a candle.  Just think outside the box a little.  Rummage around in your basement and see what you find. 





I picked up these cellophane bags and some wraphia at Michaels as well, to wrap up the candles.  I gave these three as a gift to my mom, but I think they'd make a great wedding favour, or shower favour, maybe even a housewarming gift.  If you're a sap like me, then don't give away Grandma's tea cups to just anyone.  You can pick up tea cups at Good Will for a couple dollars. 
  


The other option is to make them and keep them for yourself.  Next time you have people over for dinner, put a tea cup candle at each place setting, or line a few down the middle of the table.  When the candle burns all the way down, wash out the tea cup, and start again! 



7 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT! I have used mine as a place decorator with water and a single bloom with a short stem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And it's funny you mentioned using the tea cups as a vase...that tip is actually in my the second blog I'm posting on Thursday! Great minds think alike, I guess :)

      Delete
  2. They're beautiful! And they look so lovely wrapped up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely precious. Thank you for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! They would be great in a gift basket with a tea/biscuit/candle theme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They would be great in a gift basket! I like that idea :)

    ReplyDelete