About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Tuesday, October 28, 2014

What's For Dinner? Purple Sweet Potatoes!

Have you ever had purple sweet potatoes?  For me it goes, chai lattes, purple sweet potatoes, chocolate, all other food.  Yup.  They're that good.  I first discovered them in a recipe for purple sweet potato hash, which is awesome.  Just shred a purple sweet potato in a food processor, cook it up in a frying pan in some melted coconut oil until brown and crispy.  Breakfast side dish perfection.  Since this discovery I have been on a mission to see what other wonderful creations I could make with this odd, but delicious, new vegetable.   


I've had the Crazy Plates cookbook for years.  I love it, and yes, it was the inspiration for Crazy Plates' name.  She is crazy for sure, and so yummy I could eat her cheeks.  Anyway...there is a recipe in the cookbook called My Yammy Spice, or, sweet potato fries.  The recipe calls for sweet potatoes, olive oil, cumin, dried oregano, paprika and black pepper.  I thought this would be a good test recipe for my beloved purple sweet potatoes.  And boy was I right.  I used 5 purple sweet potatoes and cubed them instead of cutting them into wedges, (because it's way easier) and drizzled them with olive oil.  Then I mixed up one tablespoon each of cumin, paprika, and Italian seasoning (because I never have oregano on hand), sprinkled that on the purple sweet potatoes, gave it a stir, then baked them on a baking sheet at 450 for half an hour.  I mean, look how good they look?  And they taste even better. 


I had some left over, and a left over sausage, so the next morning I warmed up the purple sweet potatoes and sausage and topped it with a sunny side up egg.  And you know what?  My purple sweet potatoes wowed me again.  Perfect at dinner, perfect at breakfast.  What more can you ask for?


But, not to be forgotten, that spice mixture of equal parts cumin, paprika, and Italian seasoning.  As the old lady in the Frank's Red Hot commercial says, I put that sh#t on everything.  Here it is on roasted carrots, parsnips, and onions.  Super good. 



Make sure you check out Janet and Greta's website for more info on their books and even more recipes.  And, if you try the purple sweet potato in any new and exciting ways, be sure to share in the comments.  Ok, here's one more way.  I know, I'm a giver.  Cook up some bacon.  Once done, transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towel.  Then, dice up a purple sweet potato and cook it in the bacon fat until it's all brown and crispy.  Fry up a couple eggs.  Put the eggs, bacon, and purple sweet potato hash browns on your plate and enjoy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment