About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Monday, August 25, 2014

Back To School Fashions

All the day time talk shows are showing back to school fashions for kids, and since I have two fashionistas in the making, I thought I'd do a fashion show of my own.  But first, my thoughts on kids fashion.  You didn't think I'd write a blog post without sharing my opinion, did you?

Most days I let my girls chose their own clothes.  I don't mean I show them a pink shirt and a purple shirt and let them chose between the two, I mean I tell them if it's hot or cold outside, and then let them pick out an outfit.  Sometimes they wear a party dress to the grocery store, sometimes they wear their pajamas to the park, and sometimes they wear their bathing suits to bed, as I discussed in a previous post.  I think kids should be kids, free to express themselves and their creativity.  It's only our stuffy adult conventions that say we shouldn't wear a formal dress to the grocery store, but why not?  I enjoy watching my girls try out new outfits.  Sometimes they get it right, and sometimes, not so much.  But, they're learning what they like to wear, and developing a personal style that some adults are still struggling with.  Here are a few of my favourite outfits.  Little Bear has a bit more styling experience under her belt, and she's getting pretty good at it.  She's into accessorizing these days.  She rarely leaves the house without her pink purse, her phone, a necklace, and an armful of bracelets.  She gets her love of accessories from me.  Remember my necklace collection?

In this first ensemble, Little Bear is wearing a striped t-shirt with flowers.  She's paired it with a colourful polka dotted skirt.  A bold mix of patterns, that only she could pull off.  Runners with no socks is part of her signature style.  Big Baby is wearing last season's snowsuit from Joe Fresh.


In this outfit, Little Bear is wearing her favourite pink cardigan.  It's a staple in her wardrobe.  She's paired it with a simple black t-shirt and my infinity scarf.  Her track pants with gold stars add a bit of unexpected fun to this look.  


Crazy Plates is wearing a white t-shirt under my mom's sequined tank top, and has paired it with Nike Shox and a pendent necklace.  She's still developing her style, but I think she nailed it with this outfit.


This is one of my most favourite looks that Little Bear has put together.  A bright orange tank top, brown tutu, sneakers and knee socks, paired with a colourful necklace, her pink purse, and of course, her phone.  Big Baby is taking more of a fashion risk, wearing only her under garments and an arm party on each wrist.  


Little Bear is once again sporting her favourite pink cardigan, this time with a star patterned skirt and leggings.  Her purple shoes pick up the purple flowers in her hat.  Big Baby is wearing Little Bears striped shirt with flowers as a dress.


This shot shows the versatility of the above outfit.  Layering is key with the unpredictable weather we've been having, and perfect for back to school.


On a related note, I also let the girls' creativity run wild when doing art projects.  It's boring to colour inside the lines all the time.  Art is definitely a personal expression, and if the girls want to colour the sun blue and the grass yellow, so be it.  This art project was supposed to be a Plasticine fairy standing on the grass with a blue sky behind her.  These are their interpretations.  Little Bear's is on the left, Crazy Plates' is on the right.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment