About me

I am a Stay at Home Mom. I love Chai Lattes, anything chocolate, and all of the Real Housewives. I hate cleaning bathrooms.

I've been with my husband since 2000, married since 2005, and together we have two little girls. Little Bear was born in 2009 and Crazy Plates in 2010.

This is my blog. A place where I share all the fun and frustrating things about being a Stay at Home Mom.

I hope you can enjoy, relate, and have a little laugh.


Monday, September 29, 2014

I Love You, Mango Salsa. Let Me Count The Ways

Have you ever had mango salsa?  My friend Vanessa brought it over for a play date a couple years ago, and I've been hooked ever since.  I just can't get enough.  I make a big batch, and then I put that stuff on everything.  Here are just a few of the many uses for mango salsa.

1) Dip.  Obviously.  Tostitos Scoops are a good choice, but Vanessa turned me on to Beanitos Chipotle flavoured bean chips, and they pair amazingly well with mango salsa.  I've also used cucumber slices to scoop up the bits of mango and avocado goodness.  Oh, and sweet potato chips.  I once made sweet potato chips from scratch (I know!) and they were amazing, and the only thing worthy of the time it took to make the sweet potato chips, is mango salsa.

2) On an egg sandwich.  Yup.  You heard right.  Get a soft yummy bun, fry up an egg or two, and top it with mango salsa.  Heaven.

3) On a hamburger.  It will be the only condiment you need for your burger, or hot dog, or chicken burger.  Don't have a burger patty handy?  Just make a mango salsa sandwich.  Yes, it's that good.

4) A dinner topper.  I know that's a weird sub-heading, but mango salsa is the perfect topper for pulled pork, chicken, talapia, steak, whatever you're having for dinner.  Mango salsa finishes a meal like that perfect statement necklace that you bought but never get the chance to wear because you never go anywhere fancy, just to the bus stop and the grocery store.  Well, top that roasted chicken with mango salsa and bring out the statement necklace.  Dinner just got fancy.     

5) As a salad.  I buy a bag of chopped romaine from the grocery store, top it with mango salsa and a few handfuls of trail mix, and boom!  Salad perfection.


So how do you make mango salsa?  That's the best part.  However you want to make it.  But, if you're a recipe follower like me, here is what I put in mine.

2 mangoes, diced
3 avocados, diced
1/4 red onion, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
dried cilantro to taste
juice from 2 limes
1 clove chopped garlic
2 tomatoes, diced

Mix all ingredients together.  Eat.  Fall in love.  Make some more.

If you happen to have any leftovers, here is a trick to make sure your avocados don't turn brown.  The lime juice will help, to make sure, instead of wrapping the top of the bowl with saran wrap, press the saran wrap down into the bowl so it is touching the top of the mango salsa.  It is exposure to the air that will turn the avocado brown.  Oxidize, I believe, is the fancy cooking term.


Ok, I'm not one to mess with perfection, but I added some diced pineapple to the mango salsa last time I made it, and it was really good.  I ate it with tilapia.  And my eggs the next morning.  And a spoon.




2 comments:

  1. I love Mango Salsa! I've never made it with avocadoes, yum! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you try it and love it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete